13 January 2008

On Barcelona and Teen Pregnancy

Well I did it.

I finally went to see a motion picture. My first one of the year 2008! The movie was of course, Juno. I'm a bit behind the times, but still, it was a great effort to get me out to the cinema. The last movie I saw before this was The Darjeeling Limited (a good month after that came out too) and before that, Harry Potter in the summer time.

Anyways, I enjoyed myself immensely! I was very surprised by the whole thing. Instead of cliche super-indie film material (See: Garden State), the movie was very fresh and I laughed several times. While I found Juno's cynicism to be a little over-the-top, I reminded myself that it's just a movie and to have fun with it. Which I did. Also, some unexpected drama with the adopting parents made it all the more interesting.

Has anyone seen Ellen Page's earlier film 'Hard Candy'? I was basically reminded of that. If you don't know what I mean, Wikipedia it.

While the soundtrack was very expected (acoustic-y equally-as-indie-as-Juno tracks), I did enjoy it too. Aka The Velvet Underground and Belle & Sebastian.

Another aspect I liked: The costumes. Many things can be bought from American Apparel:

-- Track outfits (with the exception of the boy's shorts)
-- Tube socks for sure
-- Several of Leah's outfits such as the track suit jacket in yellow
-- Almost all of Paulie's hoodies (including a black FLEX-FLEECE at the end)
-- Juno's cranberry hoodie
etc.etc.

Personal favorite item I recognized:


The Laroche sunglasses worn by Juno when she and Leah are looking through the Penny Saver.

So that's that! Go see it if you haven't.

Also, another fantastic part of the evening was seeing my great friend and loyal No Nasties reader, Yasmin
Me holding Yasmin back during THE FUTURE (party at Nicki's house).

Yasmin and I discussed Spring Break plans which brings me to the Barcelona part of the post. I will be flying over to the Spanish paradise to stay with a bunch of friends in their apart from about a week. I am pretty excited for this to go down and it will officially begin my travels abroad.

Stay tuned!

No comments: