23 November 2007

It's Always Black Friday in Thrift Stores



Today is national 'Buy Nothing Day' according to the culture jamming website Adbusters (the creators of TV Turn-Off Week and their fun little magazine). Instead of going out at 2 a.m. to buy 'Weeds' on DVD, the Canadian magazine publishers suggest you do not buy ANYTHING. Ultimately, they hope you will lower your consumerism to virtually nothing. Obviously this idea does not appeal to most people so instead, I have an economically better plan (and not just for you!).

I suggest you go out and support your community and local businesses instead. Not only do you get to spend your $$Black Friday billz$$ but all your money will go towards some good things.

Instead of going to a corporate chain coffee store, go to your local cafe. If you're in the Lehigh Valley, I highly recommend "Mas Cafe" in the triangle of Emmaus. The husband-wife team sell the best tasting coffee in the valley for affordable prices and in a great atmosphere.

Dining is another thing to do locally as opposed to popping in a 'Friendly's'. Today my mother and I went to my old alma mater "Balasia". As always the food was FANTASTIC. In addition to being fantastic, it was completely vegan, all organic, and the produce is bought from local, organic farmers. Three great things for your community, animals, and your body.

Now, the most prominent part of Black Friday is the shopping. As far as electronics and other crazy stuff, I suggest you hold off on the things you do not really need. Allll of your apparel needs can be fulfilled with thrift stores. If you live in Philadelphia, your thrift store options are very slim and always expensive. If you live in the Lehigh Valley though, your thrift stores are a gold mine!

Here is a guide to local thrift stores in order of decent to great:

6. Once is not Enuff
A popular choice for "ladies". And by ladies, this means my mother a few years ago and some friends who were looking for sequin gowns. I do not go here since they only sell women's clothing and it is not extremely cheap. My fondest memory of the place is telling my mother that they should rename it "100 Times is not Enuff" since she dragged me there so often. Some pros are that the window displays change frequently and according to their website they receive new clothing daily. You can also sell your clothing there too. Drawbacks include the prices and that I am not sure if it is non-profit or not.

5. Goodwill (Tilghman Shopping Center)
There are two Goodwills near me and the one is located in the Tilghman Shopping Center. It is also my least favorite of the two. They used to have a sign on the door forbidding more than two "teens" from coming in together at a time. If you ever have time to kill before a movie at the Tilghman 8 or you would rather not spend $8.95+ on "clucks and fries" from Red Robin's, then the trip is worth the walk over. Jen and I went today and were underwhelmed. The men's section is very small but the knick knacks and records are spot-on.

4. The Attic
Located on the main street of Kutztown, this chic-er thrift store is a bit out of the way for most Lehigh Valley citizens but well worth the drive. I have only been a few times but have seen something I want every time. They have a great selection, even for guys stuff. It's comparable to Retrospect in terms of the type of clothes they sell and the employees ' attitude but it lacks Retrospect's high prices. The store also has neat artwork, jewelry and furniture. Go check it out.

3. Goodwill (Trexlertown)
The better of the two Goodwills is located in the Trexlertown Shopping Center located near Big Lots. Jen and I went today and the place was nuts! There was a silent auction that involved a lot of yelling, plates of half-eaten cookies and pretzels, and more Guess purses than Anna Nicole Smith (R.I.P.) could shake a pregnancy-test stick at. They usually have some neat t-shirts and crazy lady's shorts. Today we found nothing but usually I can find a Partridge Family album or Jen gets a crazy purse.

2. Sumner Family Thrift
Brush up on your Spanish skills and save some dollars at Allentown Family Thrift, better known as Sumner, located on the corner of Sumner and New St. in Allentown. If I can only make it to one close-by thrift store, I always make this my number one stop (the number one thrift store is a bit of a drive). I can always find really neat sunglasses and / or eyeglass frames. The clothes of course are also really good. Every day there is some sort of deal, whether 20% for college students or discounted tag prices. Other great features include 25 cent coffee tables from time to time and a fun costume and wig section. Drawbacks include other customers (who like to throw down with me) and the employees (who are none too friendly / helpful).

1. Salvation Army
The king of all thrift stores is the Salvation Army. The reason it is number one is because it always has great sales. The other day when I went THREE different colored tags were 50% off. Another reason that it is number one is because I can almost always find something there and have bought more clothes there than any other thrift store. I usually have to sew them up to fit right, but the end result is fantastic. Another plus: the sheer size of it all!!! Honestly I've never been in a bigger Salvation Army. No drawbacks really, an all around great place for thrifting.

I hope my extensive and opinionated guide to thrifting in the LV will help you. It's a shame Philadelphia lacks in that department!

I'll leave you with a webcam image of my dad and his Russian girlfriend in Key West. Oh the times they have had!



1 comment:

Nichola said...

hi there,
i work at the "lesser" of the two goodwills, and when i did a google search for my store, this came up. just letting you know that you are wrong!