26 November 2007

Paris, je t'aime.

In honor of me procrastinating a French composition, I decided to give you un petit cadeau (small gift): Five of my favorite songs in French!

Voila! Hurry before they are no longer available.

1. Tous Les Garcons et Les Filles -- Francoise Hardy

Ahh, the quintessential French sixties pop song (also known as yé-yé). I played this song over and over as dinner music at the restaurant. I believe it's about being alone and not having a significant other. Good times! Expect to see more about Francoise Hardy from time to time on here.

2. Les Champs-Elysées -- Joe Dassin

If you're a fan of Wes Anderson, this song is probably familiar to you. It was used for the end credits music of "The Darjeeling Limited". It's a nice upbeat song and is usually playing when I am doing homework or something that requires ATTENTION.

3. Boum! -- Charles Trenet

Another song you might have heard, this one is featured in an ad for Absolut vodka. It apparently makes light of the violent protests popular in France! I don't know what it has to do with alcohol really, BUT it's a classic French song from 1938.

4. C'est les Temps des Vacances -- Pierre Lalonde

Sixties French music was very popular in the restaurant. People were always commenting on how much they liked. This song was popular and while it's a bit too summery-sounding for right now, I really like the catchy / campy vibe.

5. Si Tu N'étais pas La -- Frehel

In one of my favorite scenes from Amèlie, this song is played in le métropolitain on an old gramophone record player. Basically, I've been listening to it ever since and was another song that received comments in the restaurant.

Remember, this songs are just for samplin'! I suggest you go out and buy the artists' music and support them! These songs are only available for a very short amount of time. HURRY.

I hope you enjoy these chansons françaises as much as I enjoyed not writing about Albert Camus' L'étranger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha weird, I just got so much Francoise Hardy stuff. It makes me psyched for our Euro Trip! You forgot Beatlettes - C'est grace a toi.

lhinur said...

here's a video of the great Jacques Dutronc (françoise hardy's lover). surely my favourite song of him, i hope you'll understand the funny lyrics
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=FBgSJ4GfE98