07 December 2007

Peppermint Passions

If the title of this blog post is not already the title of a Christmas romance novel, be prepared for me to have it written by the next holiday season.

Unfortunately for you the reader, this post is not about Mrs. Claus' hidden desires, but rather another reason to love the White Stripes.

The Lomography Society recently released a Jack White version of Lomo's popular Holga and a Meg White version of the Diana camera. Designed in the White Stripes' signature red, black, and white color scheme, the cameras also boast other exclusive features that have me, a former die-hard White Stripes fan, oozing at the seams.

The Jack Holga


Oh man!!! The beauty of it all. The camera retains all the fun, normal functions of the Holga. These FUNctions include crazy saturation, weird contrast, unpredictable light leaks, and the ability to do long and multiple exposures. Unlike the newest Holga, the Jack only features only a red filter for the flash. The normal Holga has blue, yellow, and red, but the Jack is obviously a reference to the band's favorite color.

The Jack also comes with a fisheye attachment, which I find to be a major selling point! The kit includes a red and a black filter to filter and alter the sharpness of your photo. And... a peppermint filter. I don't know how many people wanted a peppermint swirl on their photos but I suppose it is a bit neat... I probably wouldn't use it much though!

Here are two photos by Jack using the Jack:

The Meg Diana

Ah darling Meg, from your simplistic drum beats to your washed-out Marc Jacobs photo shoots, we love you dearly. I also love your new camera! The already darling Diana camera just got even better with the White Stripes influence. I mean, the box design alone is enough to satisfy me completely. The peppermint swirl on the dial (it is also on the Jack Holga) is also would make me want to buy it, but I'm just a sucker for themes. Like the Jack Holga, Meg's camera stays true to the original Diana, producing dreamy vignetted photos and capability to do multiple and long exposures. Even panoramic shots!
The Meg comes with a pinhole feature, ringflash, and the peppermint filter. Again, I don't know how useful the peppermint filter is but pinholes create a neat effect for sure. I also like the ringflash which provides an even burst of light in either red or white.

Two photos from Meg's collection:


The collaboration between the White Stripes and Lomo makes perfect sense. Both embrace lo-fi extravagance to a gritty degree. I mean, the photo right above this looks like it came right out of those little booklets in a White Stripes album. Or perhaps even one of their record covers. Each camera kit is $180, which seems a bit steep to me, even with all the fun stuff included. A regular Diana can go for as little $60 and my Holga was only $70 and came with all sorts of fancy things. I feel like I say this a lot, but if this would have come out earlier (like when I was in 9th grade and had a White Stripes Wednesday in which Joann and I only wore red, black, and white) I'd buy BOTH in a heartbeat. Go here to buy the camera, read more about it, and look at more images taken by the White Stripes and their fans.

I also apologize for not updating yesterday, between sleeping-in (classes are over), steaming milk (Starbucks), and Temple's party scene (a group hair cutting initiative) I had no time! Oh well, this post is HUGE.

No comments: