09 July 2009

I'm in Louvre

On Amanda's first day here, we discovered that the Louvre is actually free on Sundays. We were at first deterred by the really long line, but we were inside in a matter of minutes.

Ah, the Louvre. What to say about it... the building is beautiful and the pyramids too. But let me just say that I am thoroughly happy I did not have to pay for it because it was un petit peu disappointing. It was crowded to the brim (probably because it was a free day) and it was just unbearable. And obviously the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo were obscenely cluttered but ya know, I would feel odd leaving Paris without having seen either. So Amanda and I made sure we did that first.


Icon.

Icon.


~*Icon*~



Love me some Archimboldo.


Mona Lisa crowd.


Blursville.


People freaking OUT to see it.



Napoleon's dining room.


As an art history minor (haha), I am not very fond of most 17th to 18th century art, but that's not to say I do not appreciate it ( same goes for impressionism, blegh ) so I was not way interested in most of the rooms in the Louvre. One room I did love however was the 16th and 17th century Netherlandish and German art. I'm a bit bias though because I really liked my Northern Renaissance art class.

Anyways, there were lots of meat market scenes and this odd reptilian painting:



View from the 3rd floor.

After being stressed by the museum, we wandered through the amusement park in the Tuileries ( think local town fair with a French twist ) and then headed to the Eiffel Tower to see it in the day time.


No comments: