16 March 2008

Razzmatazz: A True Barcelona Experience


Okay.

Last night was probably top ten greatest nights of my life.

Perhaps top 3!

The night began with a little nap and resting up.

Jen and Max were already out and Team One had already left so Team Two (which I was a memeber of) headed on out around 12:45 a.m. to go to Razzmatazz.

The metro ride was marred with urges to urinate. We were two stops away from our destination when the train was stopped and the doors just kept opening up at the stop. Very frustrating. Eventually we all had to get off and police came in and searched it up and down. This potential terrorist threat could have been the end of our night right there, but it wasn't.

We peed on the side of the subway thing in a hidden alcove while some German guy jumped down into the tracks to pee. Talk about insanity already!

Eventually another train came and it was filled to the brim with teens. We got on and everyone was singing and dancing and moving all around. Every single car on the train was jam-packed. We finally got to the stop and everyone just RAN out while maintaining the aforementioned singing and dancing. About 20 people crammed into the elevator and the escalator broke because of the all the people on it. As we came out of the metro, we ran mass exodus style towards Razzmatazz.

There must have been 500 people leaving that metro, no jokes. We waited in line and it went really quickly. I was awkwardly carded but it felt good to have real ID for once and be able to get in somewhere.

So I paid my 15 euros (totally worth it as I'll explain in a breakdown later) and then Max showed us all around the place. There was a gigantic huge room that was about the size of a standard high school gym and then several other rooms connected off the sides, each with different music.
There was only one other good room that was playing allllll my favorite 80's songs and even some newer pop stuff that was damn good.

Musical Highlights:

--The Teenagers
--Vampire Weekend
--Such Great Heights (the crowd went crazy for this one!)
--Blue Monday mash-up with some other crazy song I can't think of
--MoTown hits
--Hit Me Baby One More Time
--Walk Like an Egyptian

And of course a thousand more.

Also, I caught a little bit of the Raveonettes in the front room. I had no idea they would even be there.

By this time, everyone was pretty much separated so I headed down to the main room to see YELLE.

Her show was incredible! She played every hit and even some of the remixes of her songs. It was so good and everybody was dancing.

After Yelle, everything kind of fused together.

I used my free drink ticket and got a really delicious drink that was rather large for being free.

I mainly stayed in the front room with the eighties hits. People were sleazin' all over the place and giving me the sleazy eyes.

Oh and also, I don't know where all these hipsters came from because I did see one of them while walking the streets of Barcelona. It was crazy.

Some quotes from last night:

"Oh hey, I'm going to see if I can make out with someone, I'll seeya later" -- A friend after briefly seeing her for ten seconds.

"Tienes cocaina?" -- Some kid asking me as I walked the halls.

"Well... I don't know if we'll ever see each other again..."
"Probably not, byee!" -- An exchange

"Pennsylvania!" -- A nick-name I received from kids.

So yes. Lots of dancing, sweating, singing, moving, scavaging, walking, etc. etc.

There were a lot of photos taken so hopefully I can scour the internet for some.

Eventually it ended and I walked outside only to be stunned by the fact that the sun was up.

Another gigantic crowd was flowing towards the metro. There were also lots of people passed out on the street and lookin' miserable.

While waiting for my friends, a group of Spanish teens who were standing next to me, were whispering about me and eventually came over to talk. They were interesting and we laughed a lot but it was time for BED.

The worst part was, Commeh and I did not have a key so we had to wait outside in the hopes that someone would open the front door BUT nobody did. I had to pick the lock (thanks for teaching me that mom!) and we got in.

I basically slept on the floor because there was only one sleeping bag but who cares.

Last night was so zany.

Ticket breakdown:

15 Euros

-5 to see Yelle
-5 for drink
-4 to see Raveonettes
-1 for sleazing and dancing and drinking legally in Europe.

I'm pretty much set to go home now.

This night was chocolate in the croissant!

No comments: